The Joes, (less CarlyJo who is too cool and waaay to busy to camp with us.....haha) went camping this weekend at Greenleaf State Park. We had a really good time and here are some things that I learned on our 48 hours while there.
1. Don't sit downwind from someone sprinkling red pepper. It burns your eyes.
2. Set up your tent to catch the cross wind, otherwise it will just blow your tent in and scare you in your sleep.
3. Don't serve chili one night then beans the next day. (but do mix the left over chili with the beans!!)
4. Don't try to walk to the farthest bathroom when participating in #3.
5. Bring a small basket to carry your shower paraphenalia.
6. Leave modesty at home when showering in the bathrooms. There really is not privacy. (or shower late and get dressed lightening fast like I did)
7. Be glad that your daughter collapses , exhausted, in her camping bed....put there by her very own self.
8. Bring lots of wood for the camp fire, and don't forget to protect it from rain.
9. Listen to the weather man and believe that a 30% chance of rain is a big enough chance you should put everything up for the night.
10. Invest in an air mattress. Totally wonderful! Beats sleeping on the hard ground and makes snuggling to keep warm much easier....
11. Inspect (and double inspect) the ground for sticky-up items before setting the tent up.
12. The smell of fresh coffee and bacon in the morning beats any alarm clock.
13. Rising with the sun and the birds (sometimes making funny noises) is wonderful.
14. Slow down and enjoy all the quiet.
15. Our universe is a wonderful and marvelous thing.....take a blanket and admire all the stars.
16. In quiet camp areas, voices carry so don't talk about your neighbors or say naughty things.
17. Electricity is overrated.
18. Camping is fun.