Sunday, May 11, 2008

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!!

OK so UJ has been a budding "Foodie" for a long time now. He watches the FoodNetwork a lot and has now subscribed to a cooks magazine that I shall not name. In that magazine there are recipes that have been re-vamped by scientific type cooks.

I found a "Fluffy Yellow Cake" recipe in there and decided to give it a try for Mothers Day.

The instructions were not horribly complicated but they did involve three bowls of mixtures then a combination of said mixes, one of which was egg whites beaten to stiff peaks. I followed the directions very closely the second time. The first ending in a pile of mush that I had to pitch in the trash. (Boy was I mad as some the ingredients were special purchases and I generally hate to see things to to waste.)

I licked the spatula after I poured the batter in the pan. Hmmm that tasted very salty. I reviewed the recipe to verify that I followed the measurements to the "T". No obvious mistakes. I thought it may be the buttermilk in the recipe that made it taste different so I went ahead and baked it.

I pulled the beautifully baked cake out of the oven and cut a small corner off to test it. It was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E!! I couldn't believe it! I called UJ into the room to taste it too and he agreed: TOO SALTY. (even though it only called for 3/4 t. and I didn't even have that much so it was less than that)

I hoped that the "Fool Proof Frosting" on the next page of the magazine would be sweet enough to lessen the salty taste. They were right, the frosting was foolproof, but not enough to help the doomed salty cake.

I tried to pass the cake off as good at Mom's and everyone ate it, but they all commented on the saltiness and advised not to make it again. The only person that really liked it was my niece ElleJo who loves salty food. I gave her three big pieces to take home. :o)

Next time I am trusting a real Mom-tested, family approved recipe and not something from a test kitchen full of scientists. They lie.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad about the cake. Did you maybe use baking soda instead of powder? I seem to remember having a similar issue once.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Be a commenter...the world needs more commenters.